Here’s a Good Place to Start
Hi Fit Fam,
A great video to watch before beginning your fitness journey would be JC Deen’s Clean Eating and Our Beliefs –my thoughts on the matter
Deen nails the topic perfectly suggesting that there is no one-way to achieve your goals. Health and fitness is much like a belief system –everyone believes that what works for them is the way to success. The honest answer is that everyone is different. What works for you might not work for someone else! When Deen was clean eating he would go through vicious cycles of strict dieting and binging. These craving crashes were provoked by a diet that refused him the foods he found pleasurable and forced him to eat foods that bored him. He was left hungry and unsatisfied when eating clean, which lead to late night gorging on forbidden foods. This approach to health actually caused Deen to become unhealthier!
The point I am trying to make is that the approach to eating I take is simply what works for me! It has taken me almost a year to understand what works for my body and what doesn’t, and I am still learning all the time.
If you are just starting your health and fitness journey here are a few suggestions I would make based on my personal experience:
- Baby steps! Do not push yourself too hard. If you don’t ease yourself into the habits you’d like to adapt, you will find yourself feeling overwhelmed and restricted. This can lead to craving crashes. (And let’s face it no one likes feeling defeated by a large pizza). Implement changes in two week intervals. Every two weeks challenge yourself by getting rid of another vice holding you back.
- Find what works for you! There is no right or wrong way to achieve health and fitness goals. Experiment with different nutritional approaches and workout plans until you find something that works for you. Remember, this journey becomes a lifestyle, find something you can see yourself committing to long term.
- Work that A**! Exercise is the most important addition you could integrate into your life. Working out releases endorphins and endorphins make you happy, happy people don’t just binge on a box of cookies, they just don’t! So yeah, get moving!
- Leave a little wiggle room. I never forbid myself the things I want (although there are weekends I take cheat day too far). Within reason treat yourself. This kind of lifestyle should be tailored to you, how fast you want to achieve your goals and how happy that cheeseburger will make you. (Which brings me to my next point…)
- Use your head! When eating a cheat meal think about what you are putting into your body. Think about how it will affect your goals. Think about how worth it eating it will be. Think about how you feel after. Thinking consciously while I eat has changed my perception of food entirely! I soon found myself breaking my food addictions in favour of healthier options that made me feel better about my progress and myself as a whole.
Hope these tips have helped and you are ready to begin your fitness journey!
In the next few articles I will be discussing two popular approaches to nutrition to help guide you on your journey. I will also provide you with my personal experience with each, and talk about what worked for me and what lead to failure.
Stay tuned and stay hungry.